Karim Benzema is the fifth player to score 50 Champions League group-stage goals, after Lionel Messi (71), Cristiano Ronaldo (67), Raul (53) and Ruud van Nistelrooy (50)
Karim Benzema’s two headers sent Real Madrid into the Champions League knockout stages with victory over Borussia Monchengladbach, who also qualify for the last 16.
Inter Milan and Shakhtar Donetsk drew 0-0. Both sides needed a win to qualify but they go out with the San Siro draw.
Real started the day in third place and in major danger of their first ever group-stage elimination.
Benzema’s goals from Lucas Vazquez and Rodrygo crosses put Real in control.
They never looked back against an underwhelming Gladbach, who only had one shot on target.
Real should have won by more with Luka Modric having a goal disallowed and Benzema and Vazquez hitting the woodwork.
Real have reached the knockout rounds in all 25 of their Champions League campaigns and every season since 1996-97, when they did not qualify for Europe.
Zinedine Zidane’s side have won four of the past seven Champions League titles.
Their participation in this season’s last 16 looked in doubt after a 2-0 defeat at Shakhtar last week. But they completely outplayed Gladbach as they moved up from third to top spot.
Inter have been eliminated in the Champions League group stage for a third consecutive season.
They had 20 shots but could not find a way through against their Ukrainian visitors. Goalkeeper Samir Handanovic came up for an injury-time corner and Shakhtar broke down the other end but could not get a shooting chance into an unguarded goal.
Shakhtar – who beat Real Madrid both times – drop into the Europa League.
Substituted forArribas Calvoat 74’minutes
- 20Vinícius Júnior
Substituted forAsensioat 74’minutes
- 30Arribas Calvo
Substituted forLazaroat 45’minutes
Substituted forBénesat 85’minutes
Substituted forWolfat 85’minutes
Substituted forHerrmannat 85’minutes
Substituted forZakariaat 45’minutesBooked at 88mins
- Match ends, Real Madrid 2, Borussia Mönchengladbach 0.
- Second Half ends, Real Madrid 2, Borussia Mönchengladbach 0.
- Attempt saved. Karim Benzema (Real Madrid) header from the left side of the six yard box is saved in the centre of the goal. Assisted by Lucas Vázquez with a cross.
- Denis Zakaria (Borussia Mönchengladbach) is shown the yellow card for a bad foul.
- Toni Kroos (Real Madrid) wins a free kick in the defensive half.
- Foul by Denis Zakaria (Borussia Mönchengladbach).
- Foul by Lucas Vázquez (Real Madrid).
- Hannes Wolf (Borussia Mönchengladbach) wins a free kick in the defensive half.
- Substitution, Borussia Mönchengladbach. Patrick Herrmann replaces Marcus Thuram.
- Substitution, Borussia Mönchengladbach. Hannes Wolf replaces Lars Stindl.
- Substitution, Borussia Mönchengladbach. László Bénes replaces Christoph Kramer.
- Lucas Vázquez (Real Madrid) wins a free kick in the defensive half.
- Foul by Lars Stindl (Borussia Mönchengladbach).
- Attempt missed. Marcus Thuram (Borussia Mönchengladbach) header from the centre of the box misses to the left. Assisted by Lars Stindl following a set piece situation.
- Foul by Casemiro (Real Madrid).
- Florian Neuhaus (Borussia Mönchengladbach) wins a free kick in the attacking half.
- Lucas Vázquez (Real Madrid) hits the right post with a right footed shot from the right side of the box. Assisted by Karim Benzema.
- Attempt missed. Raphael Varane (Real Madrid) header from the centre of the box is too high. Assisted by Toni Kroos with a cross following a corner.
- Corner, Real Madrid. Conceded by Stefan Lainer.
- Ferland Mendy (Real Madrid) wins a free kick in the defensive half.