Diogo Jota is the first player in Liverpool’s history to score in each of his first four home top-flight league appearances for the club
Liverpool moved level on points with Premier League leaders Tottenham Hotspur and thwarted Leicester City’s hopes of going top with an outstanding performance and victory at Anfield.
Jurgen Klopp’s side remain behind Spurs on goal difference but the manner of the win – achieved amid an injury crisis – sounded an ominous warning to those hoping to wrest the title away from the champions.
Liverpool also set a new club of 64 league home games unbeaten, breaking a record set between February 1978 and January 1981.
Klopp’s side took the lead midway through the first half when Jonny Evans nodded a corner into his own net and the advantage was doubled four minutes before half-time when a move of 30 passes ended with Diogo Jota heading in Andrew Robertson’s superb cross.
Liverpool added Mohamed Salah to their long list of absentees after he tested positive for Covid-19 in Egypt but the prolific Jota, signed from Wolves for £45m in September, once again stepped in – becoming the first player in the club’s history to score in his first four competitive home appearances.
Leicester improved marginally in the second half but it was still Liverpool who dominated, Evans heading against his own post and both Roberto Firmino and Sadio Mane being denied by the woodwork and keeper Kasper Schmeichel.
Firmino was finally on target as he rose to send a fine header out of Schmeichel’s reach four minutes from time to give Liverpool the victory margin their superiority deserved.
More to follow.
Substituted forN Williamsat 53’minutes
Substituted forOrigiat 89’minutes
Substituted forMinaminoat 89’minutes
- 76N Williams
Substituted forPraetat 62’minutes
- 24MendyBooked at 66mins
- 2JustinBooked at 45mins
Substituted forÜnderat 62’minutes
- Match ends, Liverpool 3, Leicester City 0.
- Second Half ends, Liverpool 3, Leicester City 0.
- Attempt missed. Marc Albrighton (Leicester City) left footed shot from the right side of the box is high and wide to the left. Assisted by Jamie Vardy.
- Attempt saved. Takumi Minamino (Liverpool) left footed shot from the right side of the box is saved in the bottom right corner. Assisted by Curtis Jones.
- Attempt missed. Jamie Vardy (Leicester City) right footed shot from a difficult angle and long range on the right is close, but misses to the right. Assisted by Marc Albrighton.
- Curtis Jones (Liverpool) wins a free kick in the defensive half.
- Foul by James Justin (Leicester City).
- Foul by Takumi Minamino (Liverpool).
- Nampalys Mendy (Leicester City) wins a free kick in the attacking half.
- Substitution, Liverpool. Takumi Minamino replaces Sadio Mané.
- Substitution, Liverpool. Divock Origi replaces Diogo Jota.
- Attempt missed. Wesley Fofana (Leicester City) header from the centre of the box is high and wide to the left. Assisted by James Maddison with a cross following a corner.
- Corner, Leicester City. Conceded by Curtis Jones.
- Goal! Liverpool 3, Leicester City 0. Roberto Firmino (Liverpool) header from the centre of the box to the bottom left corner. Assisted by James Milner with a cross following a corner.
- Corner, Liverpool. Conceded by Dennis Praet.
- Attempt blocked. Sadio Mané (Liverpool) header from the centre of the box is blocked. Assisted by James Milner with a cross.
- Corner, Liverpool. Conceded by James Maddison.
- Attempt saved. Sadio Mané (Liverpool) right footed shot from outside the box is saved in the bottom right corner. Assisted by Diogo Jota.
- Attempt blocked. James Maddison (Leicester City) left footed shot from the centre of the box is blocked. Assisted by Dennis Praet.
- Foul by Curtis Jones (Liverpool).