When a freezer where the supply was stored failed, the hospitals sent out word over social media so it wouldn’t go to waste

Seattle hospitals rushed out Covid-19 vaccines to hundreds of people in the middle of the night after a freezer they were being stored in failed.
Its not clear what exactly caused the freezer failure Thursday night, but the Northwest and Montlake campuses of the UW Medical Center and the Swedish Medical Center received more than 1,300 vaccine doses that needed to be used before they expired at 5.30am Friday, the Seattle Times reported.
Word of the unexpected doses spread on social media, and a line of hopeful vaccine recipients snaked out the clinic door and through a parking lot at UW Medical Center-Northwest.
People wait in line at an impromptu Covid vaccine clinic in Seattle. Photograph: David Ryder/Getty Images
At Swedish Medical Center, a hundred people lined up. The hospital tweeted at 11.59pm that it had 588 doses to give out, and by 12.30am, all the appointment slots had been taken.
At the UW Medical Center-Northwest, assistant administrator Jenny Brackett walked along the crowd calling out and asking if anyone was over 65. Brackett said the hospital was doing its best to vaccinate those eligible, but that the main objective was to get it into arms and avoid waste. But many of those who showed up were too young and healthy to qualify under Washington states current prioritization categories for vaccine distribution.
One woman plucked from the crowd at UW Medical Center-Northwest, Tyson Greer, 77, said she had been waking up at 1am or 3am for more than a week to search online for coveted vaccination appointments. She finally received a shot at 1am Friday.
Healthcare workers rush to distribute Covid vaccines after a middle-of-the-night freezer failure in Seattle. Photograph: David Ryder/Getty Images
Many of the staffers working the vaccination clinic had been at work since 7am Thursday, said Keri Nasenbeny, associate chief nursing officer.
When she received word about the freezer failure, she called several nurses, who in turn recruited pharmacists and other volunteers. A Seattle firefighter seemed to show up out of nowhere to help, and a hospital staffers boyfriend helped manage the queue.
Those who scored the vaccine were appreciative. Sarah Leyden, 57, got word the shots were available from her wife, a hairdresser, who heard from a client who is a nurse. I just got lucky, Leyden said.
Anyone who received a first shot Thursday night will also receive the second shot in the two-dose regimen, regardless of age, said Cassie Sauer, president of the Washington State Hospital Association.